Sunday, December 14, 2008

Review: Rachel Getting Married

I saw Rachel Getting Married today--it was an odd film. The camera work at times was like a documentary, featuring shaky, zoomed in close ups and sometime rapid cuts. The plot as well had a documentary feel, as it focused on two days in the life of the main character (who just got out of rehab and is attending her sister's (Rachel) wedding). Bits of backstory are slowly revealed, but much of the film is just an accounting of the rehearsal dinner and wedding. This is also done in a documentary style--it feels as if we are watching the "wedding tape" made of the event.

My opinion of the film is rather mixed. There are aspects of Anne Hathaway's performance that are intriguing, and aspects of forgiveness, remorse, jealousy and the mundane, daily evils of family relations are depicted in a refreshingly realistic way. Some reviews raise interesting points about this film, but overall I preferred I've Loved You So Long (Il y a longtemps que je t'aime). Although, I now think that the two movie are trying to do very different things. Perhaps in film I just prefer more of a an established structure?

No comments:

Post a Comment